Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Geula Now! (but minus the yellow flags)

How could we come all this way and not show the kids Mea Shearim and Geula?! So, everyone into the car and off we go with cousins in tow. No problem finding the place, but parking? Oy Vey! They are doing some MAJOR road work right down the middle of Malkhei Yisroel street, the main drag and so Israeli traffic and parking in the area is INSANE. We literally saw some one park their car on top of a mound of rubble. I got stuck behind a delivery guy who decided to stop and make his deliveries from the middle of the road. There was absolutely no way to pass. A traffic officer finally told him to move on.
 I saw a place to park and even parallel parked on the right hand of the street with minimal fuss. Instead of meters they have these detailed scratch off cards to mark your time of arrival and you can pay by the hour.
In times of yore (like when I was 12) the main attraction in the area was Pizza Uri and the olive wood factory store.  The Pizza shop is alive and well. They sell pizza. No fries, no calzones, no salads. Pizza. They don't even give you a plate, they give you the slices on a piece of cardboard. Good thing they don't serve soup or you would probably have to open your mouth and have Mr. Uri poor it in! One of my favorite parts of shul is Birchas Cohanim. It is not because I am basking in the glow of holy words or any of that, it is because all of my children have no choice but to disappear for several minutes into the men's side.
 In Pizza Uri, because I have a family of nearly all boys I got to experience the same basic peaceful feeling. The pizza store has separate seating. And before any of you cry foul at women being second class -blah blah blah- you should know that the women's side is in the front of the store with better tables and chairs. The MEN are behind a partition, up a few steps and sit on hard benches. I got to eat my pizza and drink my iced coffee in peace.
We didn't go to the olive wood store, though I imagine it is still there. We had a different mission to meet, the Yarmulka store. My nieces delighted in my announcement that the boys needed to select a yarmulke that they wanted for Rosh HaShanah. The rest of their High Holy day clothing tends to be of the white shirt/ black pants variety, so this is the main accessory. I gave them freedom to choose whatever they wanted from the vast selection, but it had to be fancy. We then chose the embroidery fonts and colors. They wouldn't be ready for an hour so we went on to our next item on the list.
We needed a bar mitzvah gift, a siddur for my nephew Shlomo that we would have personalized. I had his sisters choose the type he uses and pick out a nice cover. They even gift wrapped it for me. Joy!
 Our final stop on the Geula/Mea Shearim tour was in a store that sells all of the Jewish dye cuts for projects and teachers, Jewish themed stationary, holiday table additions and basically anything cute that is Jewish Calendar related. I bought little flags on toothpicks that say "Basar" "Chalav" and "Pareve". The next catered event I throw will certainly be labeled. So cute. And, you know how I love labeling my items....
My kids have fallen into a rhythm of going to hang out with their cousins until dinner time. Even Bailey goes along. This is what it is all about. This and ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. love it! This is such a special time for us. We are living and loving our Solomonth to the hilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny update.
    Tell Dovie he can smile for the pictures without having to show his entire set of teeth (likeh a cheshire cat!)

    ReplyDelete